Are you experiencing water seepage in your retaining wall? Don't worry, you're not alone. Water seepage can be a common issue in retaining walls, but with the right knowledge and techniques, you can effectively waterproof your wall and prevent further damage.
In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of waterproofing a retaining wall using Liquid Rubber, a modern and reliable solution.
Identifying the Issue
The first step in addressing water seepage in your retaining wall is to identify the cause and extent of the problem. Look for signs of moisture, such as dampness or water stains, on the interior or exterior surface of the wall. Cracks or gaps in the mortar joints and efflorescence, a white powdery substance, are also indicators of water seepage. It's important to address the issue promptly to prevent further damage to your wall and the surrounding areas.
Using Liquid Rubber: The Superior Waterproofing Solution
Liquid Rubber is a versatile and effective solution for waterproofing retaining walls. Its unique properties make it an ideal choice for DIYers looking to protect their walls from water seepage.
Here's why Liquid Rubber should be at the top of your list:
- Ease of Use: Liquid Rubber is easy to apply, requiring only a trowel or brush. Simply follow the manufacturer's instructions for application, and you'll have a seamless and fully adhered rubberized membrane in no time.
- Affordability: Compared to other waterproofing solutions, Liquid Rubber is a cost-effective option for DIYers. It provides excellent coverage, with approximately 16.6m2 per 15L pail, making it a budget-friendly choice for your retaining wall waterproofing project.
- Reliability: Liquid Rubber provides superior waterproofing protection, thanks to its robust adhesion to masonry surfaces. It remains flexible even after drying, allowing it to stretch and bridge small cracks that may occur in the concrete or block.
- VOC-Free and Nontoxic: Unlike some traditional waterproofing products, Liquid Rubber is VOC-free and nontoxic. This makes it a safer option for both you and the environment, ensuring that your DIY project is not only effective but also sustainable.
Preparation for Waterproofing
Before applying the Liquid Rubber, it's crucial to properly prepare the retaining wall surface. Follow these steps to ensure a clean and well-prepared surface:
- Clean the Surface: Remove any dirt, debris, or loose material from the wall using a brush or pressure washer with Liquid Rubber Deck & Patio Cleaner. Make sure to clean both the interior and exterior surfaces.
- Repair Cracks and Gaps: Fill any cracks or gaps in the mortar joints using a suitable masonry repair product or Liquid Rubber Sealant & Adhesive Caulking. This will help create a smooth and even surface for the Liquid Rubber application.
- Etch the Wall: Next you’re going to need to use Liquid Rubber Concrete Etch as your final preparation step. Etching helps to roughen the surface and prepare it for better absorption and adhesion of Liquid Rubber. It also helps maintain the PH of the concrete/masonry to give longer lasting adhesion and a better finish and take.
- Prime the Surface: Apply Liquid Rubber Multi Surface Primer to the wall surface to enhance the adhesion of the Liquid Rubber coating you’ll be applying next. Liquid Rubber Multi-Purpose Primer works to increase bonding and provide a vapor barrier to help prevent blistering with other Liquid Rubber products while increasing adhesion.
Step-by-Step Application of Liquid Rubber
Now that you understand the benefits of using Liquid Rubber, let's walk through the step-by-step process of applying it to your retaining wall. First you’ll need to shop from our selection of Liquid Rubber Foundation Sealant to find one that’s suitable for the existing style and color of your retaining wall.
- Prepare the Liquid Rubber: Open the container of Liquid Rubber and stir it thoroughly to ensure a consistent and smooth texture. If necessary, thin the Liquid Rubber with water according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Apply the First Coat: Using a roller or brush, apply the first coat of Liquid Rubber to the clean and primed wall surface. For larger areas, pour out and spread around with a broom, roller or squeegee. Make sure to cover the entire area, including any cracks or gaps. Generally, you can apply 1-2 coats per day. Apply the next heavy coat when it's dry to touch (typically 6-8 hours), make sure there is no uncured material underneath. Tacky is ok.
- Apply Subsequent Coats: Apply additional coats of Liquid Rubber, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next. For optimal waterproofing, it is recommended to apply a minimum of two coats. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the recommended number of coats.
- Ensure Proper Coverage: As you apply the Liquid Rubber, ensure that the entire surface is covered, paying special attention to areas prone to water seepage, such as the cove joint at the footings. Proper coverage is essential for effective waterproofing. Apply a minimum final thickness of 1 gallon per 30 sq ft (2.3 sq/m). It should require around 2-3 heavy coats to achieve a 30 mil (0.76mm) (DFT) membrane.
- Read/download our Application Guide for a complete breakdown.
Other Tips for Successful Waterproofing
In addition to using Liquid Rubber, here are some additional tips to ensure successful waterproofing of your retaining wall:
- Maintain Good Ventilation: When applying Liquid Rubber, ensure proper ventilation in the area. Open windows or use fans to promote air circulation and prevent the buildup of fumes.
- Use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Always prioritize safety when working with waterproofing products. Wear gloves, eye protection, and appropriate clothing to protect yourself from any potential hazards.
- Inspect Regularly: After waterproofing your retaining wall, regularly inspect it for any signs of damage or water seepage. Address any issues promptly to prevent further damage and ensure the longevity of your waterproofing solution.
Water seepage in a retaining wall can lead to costly damage if left untreated. By following the step-by-step guide provided in this article, you can effectively waterproof your retaining wall using Liquid Rubber. Remember to properly prepare the surface, apply the Liquid Rubber in multiple coats, and inspect the wall regularly for any signs of damage.
With its ease of use, affordability, and reliability, Liquid Rubber is the ideal solution for DIYers looking to protect their retaining walls from water seepage.
What's more, Liquid Rubber offers the added benefits of being VOC-free and nontoxic, making it a safe and sustainable choice for your waterproofing needs. Don't hesitate to choose Liquid Rubber as your go-to solution for stopping water seepage in your brick wall. Order your Liquid Rubber today and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a properly waterproofed retaining wall.