When you’re looking to choose the right plywood coating for your deck, there are a few key factors to consider. Not only do you need to think about the look and feel of the wood, but also the protection it provides. There are a variety of options available to you, some with more protection than others, so it’s important to understand the different types of plywood coating and what they offer before making a decision.
In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to know when it comes to selecting the right plywood coating for your deck. With this knowledge, you’ll be able to make an informed decision that will ensure your deck looks beautiful and remains protected for years to come.
Types of Plywood Coating
There are a few different types of plywood coating; each one offering its own benefits and drawbacks depending on your requirements.
Here’s a quick overview of some of the more common types of plywood coating:
- Polyurethane - this type of plywood coating is incredibly durable and suitable for outdoor use. It provides excellent water and weather resistance and comes in a range of different finishes, so you can choose one that suits your needs. Our Liquid Rubber Polyurethane Deck Coating comes in a variety of colors and is nontoxic, VOC-free and pet and family friendly. It’s a great way to renew your decking and make it shine by waterproofing it and adding protection from the elements that will extend its lifetime for years to come.
- Epoxy - similar to polyurethane, epoxy is also a good option for some decks, but doesn’t have the weather-resistance or longevity of polyurethane.
There are a few key factors you should consider when choosing plywood coating for your deck, as this will help to ensure you select the best product for your needs.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the key factors you should consider when choosing plywood coating:
- Protection - the main reason for choosing plywood coating is to enhance the protection of your deck. This is particularly important if your deck is in a high traffic area and likely to get a lot of foot traffic.
- Appearance - while protection is key, you also want to consider how the plywood coating will affect the appearance of your deck. Plywood is designed to cover up the natural look of the wood, so you can choose the color that suits your needs and desired look.
- Durability - while most plywood coatings are durable, you also want to consider the long-term future of your deck. Some plywood coatings are more durable than others, so it’s important to select the product that will last the longest.
Plywood Coating Preparation and Application
Before you can apply your plywood waterproof deck coating, you need to ensure that your deck has been properly prepared.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare your deck for plywood coating:
- Make sure your deck is clean. Remove all dirt, grime and other contaminants from the deck before applying your plywood coating. Look to our Deck & Patio Cleaner to get the job done right.
- Thoroughly sand your deck. Take the time to sand the deck thoroughly to remove any rough or uneven areas so that the plywood coating can properly adhere.
Plywood Coating Application
Once you’ve properly prepared your deck, it’s time to apply the plywood coating.
Here are a few tips to help you apply the product correctly, so that it provides the maximum protection and lasts as long as possible:
- We recommend that you use a multipurpose primer beforehand to improve adhesion. We also advise that you apply each additional coat in alternate directions for optimal coverage. Finally, wait at least 3-7 days after curing before you allow foot traffic.
- Use a roller to apply the plywood coating. You’ll get a much smoother finish if you use a roller as opposed to a brush when applying the plywood coating.
- Apply each coat in a different direction for a more uniform finish and better protection against the elements in the long term.
When it comes to choosing the right plywood coating for your deck, there are a few factors to consider. Not only do you need to think about the protection the product provides, but also the appearance and how it will affect the natural look of your deck.
There are a variety of options available to you, so it’s important to select the product that best suits your needs. With this knowledge, you’ll be able to make an informed decision that will ensure your deck looks beautiful and remains protected for years to come.
Liquid Rubber should be part of your deck waterproofing plans.
Liquid Rubber is the preferred solution for many homeowners and DIY enthusiasts, with easy-to-apply products and video tutorials that help you get the best results. Browse our online catalog to see our products, and easily order all the supplies we've featured here.