Waterproofing your metal roof is a great way to extend its life and protect your home from water damage. It’s important to understand the process and materials used for waterproofing a metal roof, as well as the benefits of doing so. This professional guide will provide an overview of metal roof waterproofing with liquid rubber and include helpful tips for the application process.
What is Metal Roof Waterproofing?
Metal roof waterproofing is the process of applying a protective coating to the surface of a metal roof in order to protect it from water damage. The coating prevents water from seeping into the metal and causing corrosion or other damage over time. Doing so is an important step in keeping your home secure and protecting it from the elements.
The most common type of waterproofing used on metal roofs is liquid rubber. Liquid rubber is a synthetic material that is applied in liquid form, and once dry forms a protective coating that is resistant to water, UV rays, and other environmental elements.
Benefits of Waterproofing Your Metal Roof
Waterproofing your metal roof has a number of benefits. It can help to extend the life of your metal roof by preventing corrosion and other damage caused by water. It can also help to reduce the amount of energy required to heat and cool your home, as the waterproof coating helps to keep the heat in. In addition, adding liquid rubber can help to reduce the amount of noise from outside, as this type of rubberized coating also decreases the penetration of decibels from outside.
Types of Liquid Rubber
There are a variety of types of liquid rubber available for metal roof waterproofing. The most common types are acrylic, polyurethane, and silicone. Each type of liquid rubber has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to research the different types and choose the best one for your needs.
Choose our MetalSafe Sealant, It is also resistant to a wider range of chemicals and temperatures, as well as being rated more resistant to cracking and peeling than acrylic liquid rubber or silicone.
Preparing Your Roof for Waterproofing
Before applying liquid rubber to a metal roof, it is important to prepare it properly.
- First, the surface of the metal roof should be cleaned to remove any dirt, debris, or other contaminants. This can be done using a pressure washer or a mild detergent solution.
- Once the surface is clean, it should be allowed to dry completely before proceeding.
- Next, any loose elements on the roof should be repaired or replaced. This includes any loose nails, screws, or other fasteners. It is also important to check for any rust or corrosion on the metal roof, and repair or replace any damaged elements.
- Finally, any gaps or cracks in the metal roof should be sealed. This can be done using Liquid Rubber Sealant & Adhesive Caulk. It is important to make sure that all of the gaps and cracks are sealed properly in order to ensure a watertight seal.
Applying Liquid Rubber to a Metal Roof
Once the metal roof is properly prepared, it is time to apply the liquid rubber.
- The first step is to apply the liquid rubber to the metal roof using a brush, roller or sprayer. You want to make sure that you apply an even coat of the liquid rubber over the entire surface of the metal roof. Once the liquid rubber has been applied, allow each coat to dry completely before applying any additional coats.
- Once the liquid rubber has dried, it is important to inspect the surface of the metal roof for any areas that may have been missed or areas where the liquid rubber has been applied too thickly. If any areas need to be corrected, they should be addressed before proceeding.
- Finally, additional coats of liquid rubber should be applied to your metal roof (we advise applying material to a certain coverage rate). Each coat should be applied in the same manner as the first coat, and should be allowed to dry completely before proceeding.
Let’s Wrap it Up
Waterproofing your metal roof can help to extend its life and protect your home from water damage. If you are willing to put in a little bit of elbow grease along the way, it's entirely possible to do this project on your own. You may want to recruit a friend or family member to help you with a project of this magnitude. Just make sure to research each step thoroughly and to put the proper safety precautions in place beforehand.
Liquid Rubber is the preferred solution for many homeowners and DIY enthusiasts, with easy-to-apply products and video tutorials that help you get the best results. Browse our online catalog to see our products, and easily order all the supplies we've featured here for your own basement waterproofing project.