When it comes to keeping your concrete water fountain in top condition, one of the most important things you can do is to make sure that it's 100% waterproof. Waterproofing your fountain will not only help protect the fountain itself, but also the surrounding area from water damage.
Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of waterproofing a concrete pond with Liquid Rubber and how you can get this DIY job done fast.
What materials are needed for waterproofing?
The materials you’ll need for waterproofing your concrete water fountain depend on what kind of fountain you have. If you have a sealed fountain, you’ll need a waterproofing sealant such as NeoPond Sealant. If your fountain is not sealed, you’ll need to seal it first. Read our related guide on this: How to Seal a Pond Like a Pro to Prevent Leaks. You'll also want a roller or brush, pressure washer and some mild detergent.
Applying the Liquid Rubber Neopond Sealant
Once you have all the materials you need, it’s time to apply the Neopond Sealant.
- Start by cleaning the surface of your fountain with a pressure washer and mild detergent. If there is any dirt, debris, or other substances on the fountain, they must be removed before you can apply the sealant.
- Concrete surfaces should be etched using our Liquid Rubber Concrete Etch
- Once the fountain is clean, let it dry completely before you start applying 1 generous coat of our Liquid Rubber Multi-purpose Primer.
- When you’re ready to apply the Liquid Rubber Neopond Sealant, start at the bottom of the fountain and work your way up.
- Use the brush or roller to apply generous layers of sealant to the surface, making sure to cover all areas. Let the sealant dry completely before applying additional layers.
- Apply minimum final thickness of 1 gallon per 50 sq ft (4.6 sq/m).
- Once you’ve applied three to four thick layers, you’re ready to move on to the next step.
- Let the coating cure for 3-5 days after your last coat before filling/using the fountain.
Testing the Waterproofing
After you’ve applied the sealant and allowed it to cure, you’ll need to test out the waterproofing. Start by filling the fountain with water slowly. If the water leaks out, you're going to need more sealant applied to anywhere the water is leaking. If the water stays in the fountain, you can be sure that your fountain is properly sealed and is now waterproofed.
Consider testing small areas around your pond as a failsafe method. Keep in mind that if you’ve applied three or more thick layers of pond sealant, and allowed ample curing/drying time, your pond should be fully waterproofed.
Tips for Keeping Your Concrete Water Fountain Waterproof
Now that your fountain is waterproof, it’s important to take care of it to make sure it stays that way.
Here are some tips for keeping your concrete water fountain waterproof:
- Clean your fountain regularly. Make sure to remove any dirt or debris that may have built up.
- Check for cracks or holes in the fountain. If you find any, you’ll need to repair them and waterproof the areas that you implemented any repairs to.
- Reapply the sealant every four or five years. This will help ensure that the sealant is effective in waterproofing your pond.
- If you live in an area that experiences extreme weather, you may need to waterproof your fountain more often.
Let's Wrap Things Up
Waterproofing a concrete water fountain is fairly straightforward DIY job. By following the steps outlined in today’s blog and taking good care of your fountain, you can be sure that your concrete water fountain is 100% waterproof and remains an eye-catching water feature that you can enjoy for years to come.
Need Even More Tips?
Liquid Rubber NeoPond Sealant should be a part of your pond waterproofing gameplan.
If you are looking for even more tips on taking care of your pond, we recommend that you read our related guide: Pro Tips to Winterize Your Pond.
Liquid Rubber is the preferred solution for many homeowners and DIY enthusiasts, with easy-to-apply products and video tutorials that help you get the best results. Browse our online catalog to see our products, and easily order all the supplies we've featured here.