Prevent Your Wood Deck From Becoming Slippery With These 5 Effective Ways
There are many ways to enjoy a deck built onto your home. A deck provides protection from the elements and gives you immediate access to the outdoors. It provides additional living space for entertaining guests and taking in the fresh air while you enjoy your coffee in the morning or beverages in the evening.
You can build in benches for extra seating and even make room for a grill or small kitchenette. Besides increasing the value of your home, it also increases the exterior appeal of your property. However, it's important to maintain your deck properly to keep it functional for many years to come. You can easily prevent hazards such as slippery surfaces with a little maintenance and forethought.
Keep reading for five tips to minimize fall risks, including painting tips for Liquid Rubber PU Deck Coating.
Enjoy Your Deck With Peace of Mind
When you're grilling or hanging out on the deck, the last thing you want to worry about is someone falling on a slippery surface. Here are five top ways to prevent slippery deck surfaces from causing falls and injuries. Following these simple tips can prevent falls and make everyone feel more comfortable about hanging out on your deck any time of the year.
5 Solutions for Slippery Decks
Adding mats, keeping your wooden deck clean and painting the deck with a waterproof deck coating can help keep you and your guests safe. Inclement weather can leave behind rain, snow and water puddles. However, with a little preparation, you can create a safe space to enjoy on evenings, weekends and holidays.
1. Keep Your Deck Clean
Clear away moss, grime and algae by sweeping and scrubbing your deck monthly. Food particles, algae and other unsanitary debris can leave behind shiny surfaces that disrupt visibility and present a hazard.
2. Use a Nonslip Waterproof Deck Coating
Liquid Rubber's PU Deck Coating beautifies the surface of your unpainted wooden deck. It has waterproof properties that can prevent slippery deck surfaces from causing injuries. Add more grip to make walking on your deck easier and more comfortable, and, of course, for additional safety. Follow these tips for painting a deck.
How to paint a deck:
- For best results use 5/8-inch tongue and groove plywood decking as a base.
- Ensure a clean, dry surface free of leaves, dirt and branches.
- Use a high-quality wood filler to seal the joints between the plywood and create an even painting surface. For easy application, you can use a putty knife or other tool. (Make sure to choose paintable wood filler.)
- If you used metal flashings, rough the surface of both the metal and surrounding plywood to help the Liquid Rubber PU Deck Coating grip the surface.
- Consider using Liquid Rubber multipurpose primer to seal out moisture and prevent peeling. Apply a heavy coat of primer to the roughed areas and embed Liquid Rubber Geo-textile over the primer. Apply another coat of primer on top of the textile.
- Repeat this process for the seams too.
- Apply a heavy coat of Liquid Rubber multipurpose primer to the entire deck.
- Put on the PU Deck Coating as soon as the primer dries using a smooth or textured roller. It may take several coats to achieve consistent coverage. Note that using a textured roller can help create additional grip on your deck surface.
3. Add Rubber Mats
If you need a quick fix while you gather supplies to paint your deck, you could put down rubber mats in areas where water tends to pool and near the entrances to the deck. Covering the entire deck with mats makes it problematic to place furniture, grills, bikes and other items. However, you can create safe pathways to dining or seating areas.
4. Use a Pressure Washer (But Be Careful!)
It's a good idea to occasionally pressure wash the deck but watch how much pressure you use. Too much pressure can damage your deck coating or the underlying wood. For example, by moving the wand continuously, you can prevent damaging any one area with a concentrated blast. Broad sweeping motions distribute the water evenly and help ensure that you get every square inch of your deck squeaky clean.
5. Ensure Proper Drainage
Note where water accumulates on your deck. These areas are prone to algae and moss growth. With proper drainage, you can prevent slippery deck surfaces by allowing water to flow off the deck.
Benefits of Maintaining Your Deck
Increase your property value, restore the look of your wooden deck, preserve the underlying wood and prevent slips and falls by following the five essential tips above. When you keep your deck clean and clear of hazards, it's easier to enjoy time with friends in your outdoor living space. Of course, Liquid Rubber premium products make it easy to protect and maintain your wooden deck.
There are many benefits to maintaining a safe, slip-resistant deck. It may seem like a big job to apply Liquid Rubber PU Deck Coating, pressure wash the deck or ensure proper drainage. Once you do it, you don't have to worry about it again any time soon. On the other hand, ignoring slip-and-fall hazards could cause an accident that injures someone you care about.
Protect your deck with Liquid Rubber PU deck coating, multipurpose primer and other products designed to make your life easier.